Monday, May 9, 2011

A Quilter's Fairtyale (or a Fabric Love Affair)


It may surprise you to know that both Becca and I were reluctant quilters.

I was a painter who stopped into a LQS to get some thread to sew on a button. I was instantly mesmerized by the colors, designs and the delicious tactile quality of fabric. I knew immediately I had to do something with this.

Becca was a lifelong knitter who signed up for a 4 week class to make a simple quilt. Two years later, she and I were still in the same 'you pick your project' quilt class, swapping blog finds, gushing over fabrics and oohing and aahing over Flickr projects.


Our stashes grew. The annual quilting weekend with the girls became semi-annual. We both just wanted to sew and play with fabric. All. The. Time. (Maybe pile it up in pretty stacks and pet it once in a while.)

That is the short version of how Sew Fresh Fabrics was born.

We tell you this story as we get ready to go to our First Quilt Market (!!!!!) in Salt Lake City later this week. We simply love fabric and we have a point of view. Fresh (like our name). Sometimes modern, sometimes classic (who doesn't love a dot?). Maybe a wee bit quirky. A blog friend once said that she liked the "curated" feel to our shop.

If we find a good print, we'll stock it until the manufacturer no longer makes it. If we like one print of a line, we'll buy just that one. If we like a whole collection, we'll stock it. We hope to bring you the best of the best.

And we're excited to find more of the best at Quilt Market this week! We thank our fabulous customers for their confidence in us and your amazing support. You make this job even better every day.


*Because we will be at Quilt Market later this week, the last shipping day of the week will be Thursday for orders placed by Wednesday evening. Regular shipping will resume next week and may take a day or two to catch up to normal shipping pace. We appreciate your patience!!

**The visual for this post is the Bento Box quilt that I just completed. It was the perfect pattern for someone who doesn't like patterns and a great way to use lots of fantastic prints. The last picture was taken by my four-year old after I had hung it in the gallery where it is for sale. Not a bad shot.

4 comments:

  1. I love the shot of the quilt from a 4 year old perspective. Makes it look so much bigger and more grand ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, your story is so familiar. I used to paint all the time, then one day I saw a quilt I liked and thought, "I bet I could make that." And my love for fabric was born. I still don't like the actual quilting as much as I like stacks of pretty, soft fabrics. Organized by color gradient, of course. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I painted too, but have been overcome with sewing. And like you, I like to just "look" at my stash and sometimes "pet it" LOL

    ReplyDelete
  4. Loved this post! It's always nice to read about how folks' love affairs with fabric begin. And your reader was right, "curated" is an excellent way to describe your shop!

    So jealous about the quilt market trip. It is currently my most desired destination - which means I'm in the same fabric-loving boat as y'all! :)

    Can't wait to see what y'all ordered and saw!!

    ReplyDelete